Whether you want to cover grey, enhance your natural colour or create a new look, here’s how to pull off the perfect dye job at home. Even better, we’ll also give you pointers on how to care for your hair both before and after colouring.
HAIR CARE BEFORE AND AFTER COLOURING
- Remember the golden rule – always colour a relaxer, never relax a colour.
- Be conservative when choosing a colour – especially if it’s the first time you’re colouring your hair. Opt for a shade no more than two or three shades darker or lighter than your natural colour. Keep within the same basic shade and remember that permanent dye cannot be washed out – it grows out at the roots.
- Don’t wash your hair on the day you plan to dye it. Dye your hair a day or two after you’ve washed it; the dye is more effective then.
- Apply a deep-conditioning treatment. do this a week before dyeing your hair. the nourishment will be good preparation for the chemicals in the hair dye that can have drying effects.
- Don’t recolour your hair for at least two weeks after the first colour application, even if you’re not happy with the outcome. It will be very damaging and leave your hair brittle.
- Invest in a colour-saver shampoo and conditioner that’s gentle on your hair; it will make the colour last longer.
- Hair dye kit
- Plastic or latex gloves (usually supplied with kit)
- Wide-tooth comb
- Cleansing wipes
- Old towel
- Get your mixture ready. This will also be explained to you step-by-step in the instructions.
- It’s important to comb your hair properly before applying the dye. If you have knots, the dye might not be distributed evenly.
- Start applying the dye at your roots by dividing the hair into small sections. Make sure to rub the dye into the hair. If this is your first time, carry on applying dye to the rest of your hair. If you have dyed your hair before, dye only your roots. Your hair will get brittle if you often recolour your whole head. apply dye to the rest of your hair 10 minutes before the processing time is up. Processing time will always be stated on the hair kit’s instructions.
- Use the cleansing wipes to remove any dye on your skin. A good rub should do the trick.
- Wash the colour out with cool to lukewarm water and make sure the water runs clear.
- Condition your hair with the after-dye conditioner that comes with the kit.
- Let your hair air-dry; any heat styling done straight away could damage your hair.